Featured Articles

TOOLS
Print PRINT
E-mail EMAIL

Opinion: Why I Like the Cash For Clunkers Plan

By Liz Opsitnik
Tuesday, May 19 2009 17:25

As I’m driving to work on Interstate 95 this morning, I see a car in the next lane over that surprises me a little bit. It has obviously been rear-ended in an accident and it must have hit the car in front of it because the front end is smashed-in too.

The back end is all damaged and the back tail light looks like it’s going to fly off the car at any second and become a projectile to hit any car driving behind it. This car is definitely ready for the graveyard and yet it's flying down the highway at 70 miles an hour.

wrecked Toyota Corolla picture

This Toyota Corolla is similar to the car I saw this morning while driving to work. I was just waiting for a broken part to fly off it on the interstate.

In South Florida, cars like this hit the road all the time. Florida has no yearly vehicle inspections. The state stopped doing them in the late 90’s.

I can’t even count how many complete junkers I see on the roads here that make me think to myself, “That car even runs?” It can’t even go faster than 45 on a 65mph freeway. Isn’t that a hazard to the drivers who are doing 65 and those crazy speedsters who fly down I95 and weave in and out of traffic doing at least 80? I see those cars that should be at a scrap yard and say to myself, “they are going to cause an accident.”

Many times I’ve had to slam on my brakes to avoid a piece of crap car that looks like it’s about to fall apart. Most times, it’s at night when I’m driving home from the gym, it’s dark outside and since the crappy car’s lights don’t work, I can’t even see it.

I understand that a lot of people are forced to keep their junkers for financial reasons. They have to drive them to work because they have no other choice. A lot of consumers simply cannot afford to buy a new car right now. Maybe they don’t work or live close to the train line or bus line. Although South Florida has a great public transportation system, sometimes it’s not an option for everyone.

And when the junkers need fixed or need new tires or brake pads, many people can’t afford to replace those parts. Times are tough. Money is tight. It’s hard to come up with several hundred dollars to fix your car.

car junk yard picture

This auto junk yard makes me feel a little better knowing there are fewer "death traps on wheels" roaming the streets.

While the government supporters of the cash for clunkers program are focusing so intently on promoting the incentive, I think they are leaving a key component out of their argument. Yes, it would be good for the environment to get old cars off the road so people can drive more environmentally-friendly cars that pollute less. But the supporters of the legislation never mention how some of the old, clunky cars are a safety hazard to everyone near them on the road.

When it starts pouring rain here and I’m on Interstate 95 in a torrential downpour, I start to have a small panic attack. I’m just waiting for someone with bald tires to crash into me. I grip the wheel so tight, just bracing myself for impact. Paranoid? Maybe. Realistic? Definitely.

The cash for clunkers incentive is a good thing. Maybe drivers should realize it’s time to send their hazard-on-wheels to the junkyard already. If the legislation is passed, the government should give buyers enough of a financial incentive to retire their old cars so they can buy new ones. The current incentive doesn't seem big enough to sway consumers to trade in their clunkers. Hopefully it works because I know I’ll feel a lot better when I start seeing fewer junkers on the roads.

Top image via interzone.com. Bottom image via chss.iup.edu.

Copyright 2009 AutoLoanDaily.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Related Articles

Confused or unsure about some of the car loan terms used in the article? Click here for our Auto Loan Glossary.

Share/Save/Bookmark

GET A FREE NEW CAR PRICE QUOTE

Comments

9 comments on this story so far.

Your Name:
Your Email:
URL:
Your Comment:

Comment By: Brent L. on Tue, May 19 2009 at 5:49 PM
The government definitely needs to increase the incentive for this plan. A few thousand dollars isn't going to convince me to buy a new car.
Comment By: Samantha on Tue, May 19 2009 at 5:51 PM
I wish I could afford to buy a new car...my husband lost his job 8 months ago. we cant get rid of our 7 year old car even if we wanted to. this plan will only work for rich people who can actually afford to buy a car.
Comment By: Mary Fitz on Tue, May 19 2009 at 6:17 PM
If somone has a broken down car, I doubt many folks even with $7,500 credit to buy a new car will get them to buy a new car.
I doubt this plan will work
Comment By: Stephen Jones on Wed, May 20 2009 at 9:32 AM
Unfortunately, those death traps threatening to fall apart at any second on the highway probably don't qualify for cash for clunkers. A car has to get under 18 mpg combined to qualify and I'm having trouble finding any cars at all from the last 15 years that get less than 18. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm Like Mary said, the people who drive these wrecks probably can't afford a new car even with the government's help.
Comment By: Stephan Russel on Wed, Jun 17 2009 at 2:32 PM
How do they base the MPG, is that for the 'clunker' they want to trade in factory specs? Or what the car is getting NOW? Fuel economy does diminish over time for a vehicle, especially if routine maintenance isn't performed. It's going to be hard to find vehicles that are under 18 MPG.
Comment By: karenc on Tue, Jun 23 2009 at 3:56 PM
60% of the cars that are donated to charity will be eligible for the cash for clunkers program. Since the tax deduction for donating a car is much less than the voucher, charities won't be able to compete and will lose a lot of money. A better idea is to just increase the tax deduction. This way the government doesn't have to spend billions on vouchers and administer a program with rules which are not enforceable! Since many of the cars that are donated are recycled there is an environmental benefit as well!
Comment By: Becky on Mon, Jul 13 2009 at 3:09 PM
. I owe 15500 on my Pathfinder which I plan to trade in for an new 09' Flex. KBB lists my Pathfinder at 13000, so I am upside down 2500. I know my car qualifys with the gas mileage, etc, but will I be able to trade it in and still get the cash for clunkers discount on top of the Ford rebates? Thanks!
Comment By: AutoLoanDaily.com on Mon, Jul 13 2009 at 3:22 PM
Becky,
Ford has not announced if it will honor both yet, but smart USA and Hyundai are giving buyers both the Cash for Clunkers rebate AND any other current rebates and incentives. Our guess is that most automakers will give buyers both, as they really need to sell cars right now.
Comment By: Rosa Huertas on Sat, Oct 10 2009 at 4:10 PM
hello do you guys by any chance have a a 84-85 toyota corolla hatchback because i need the hatch and is also called trunkld if any thing give me a call at 313-377-5715 thank you

26 More News Stories ...